Since 1967, when I graduated from Moravian College, I have taught in Salisbury Township schools in Allentown, PA. My career began in the high school as a 7th grade English teacher, then moved to what is now the Administration Building for 3 years (looked very different in those days), and then to newly-constructed Middle School until the mid-eighties. At that point I took a five-year educational sabbatical and revisited my Masters Degree work at Lehigh University (Lucy B. Moses Teaching Assistant Fellowship in conjunction with Dr. Peter G. Beidler) and began studies in 18th Century British Literature, Medieval Literature, and Gender Studies in the Ph.D. program (degree incomplete). During my degree studies, I learned to read in Old and Middle English, Classical Latin, Medieval Latin, German, Hebrew, and Yiddish.
A first-year member of Keystone Technology Integrators and the Discovery Educator Network, I am also a first-year member of the PA DEN Leadership Council and have and continue to serve as PA DEN Blog Coordinator. In 2010, I was surprised with the DENny Legend Award.
A believer of lifelong learning, as part of my continuing education, I have published, presented at conferences, engaged in staff development training, been awarded educational fellowships, and joined professional organizations that have furthered my classroom learning and teaching skills.
- Award-winning PP & L Energy Conservation Unit
- A History of the World (Edition of Jane Austen's Juvenalia, with Dr. Jan Fergus, Professor Emeritus, Lehigh University)
- Test Prep: Fun, Fast, and Free (Discovery Education)
- Giving the Past a New Perspective (scroll to p. 5 for article written in conjunction with Jennifer Brinson)
- PETE&C 2010: Student 2.0 (in conjunction with Jennifer Brinson)
- Boston (Medieval Studies: Chaucer)
- Seattle (18th Century Studies: Frances Burney)
- South Carolina (18th Century Studies: Frances Burney)
- 16th Annual High Schools That Work (What's for Lunch; No Textbook? No Problem--2 separate years)
- NECC: Integrated Project: The 1940s
- PETE&C: Integrated Project (3 years)
- Discovery Educator Network at Pennsylvania State University
- Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit (in conjunction with Stephanie Maciag)
- Keystone Technology Integrators Summit
Professional Blogs:Avocational Blogs:
- Learning Curve (Class Blog for Students and Teacher)
- Salisbury 21 Photoblog (Learning with Photoblogs)
Learning Llamas (Life on The Farm)
Beating Back Cancer (One strategy at a time ~ One day at a time)
Professional Wikis:Avocational Organizations:
- Learning Curve (21st Century Design for Learners, Creators, and Consumers)Professional Organizations:
- CFF Tech Ed (IU 21's Aggregate of Cross-Curriculum Resources, Tutorials, and Examples)
During the past 3 years, I have served on the District Technology Committee, the Salisbury High School Technology Committee, and the Salisbury High School Building Leadership and Health and Safety Committees.
CFF Senate Testimony 2007:
Classrooms for the Future Senate Communications and Technology Committee and the Senate Education Committee Hearings 2007 from RJ Stangherlin on Vimeo.
In addition to my passion for education, I am also a llama owner and breeder and enjoy living and working on our 185-acre working farm. We own a city home in Salisbury Township, but llamas are not likely to fit the township ordinance for pets, so we reside permanently at The Farm, with visits to the city residence. I also enjoy international travel with Jennifer Brinson and our students. And, perhaps proudest of all, I am a grandmother to four delightful children, ranging in ages from 6 to 13, and step-grandmother to two freshmen at college (DeSales University and LCCC). If you are interested in learning more about llamas and life on The Farm, you may want to visit Learning Llamas for a window into my after-school life.
In March, 2010, I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Follicular Lymphoma, and decided to make my diagnosis a learning and teaching experience. You can learn more about living with and beating back cancer at my newest blog, Beating Back Cancer.
You can follow my social networking and my online affiliations here: RJ Stangherlin.