Thursday, October 29, 2009

2 - 1 = Closer to Done!



When I reach backward into memory, my farm remembrances remind me that every time we have begun a major project, it rains. Actually, rains would be a euphemism for destructive deluge, aka erosion, aka project undone. Much as I enjoy adding buildings, roads, new banks or whatever the occasion calls for, I also simultaneously hate it. Guess it's a love-hate relationship. This time, however, I thought we just might beat the odds. For a while at least--two days--we did. Up went the barn in day-and-a-half time, sliding door and all.

Concrete Charlie was set to arrive Wednesday and, well, the rest is history. Rained for two solid days. The barn held--never in question--no really irrevocable land damage, but a mucky muddy area that you slide and sludge through as you drive, walk, move--or try to. But back to the title. Originally we had two loads of Grade B stone, nearly 43 tons, and when I came home after school on Day 2 to see one less pile, I knew we were closer to done, with one load leveling the inside of the barn. Prep work complete, I really looked forward to the floor being poured, because as anyone knows, concrete needs curing for 28 days, and winter comes fast and hard to this mountain. Greatest fear: freezing temperatures before the hardening. Surface wise, a fast set; hard enough to move dump trucks and equipment into it--full 28 and counting. Biggest fear: that the land would be too wet to pour the exterior concrete, but my husband, always wiser in almost every practical way, said that would not be a factor. If you count the down days--I do--then we're at Day 4 (feels like I'm back at school) and looks like when this crew of two leaves, they will be done. Of course, it's drizzling, but I'm thinking the plastic I see will somehow be draped over the exterior pads. Who said, "Hope springs eternal..."?

One of the things I love about the new barn is its proximity to the pastures, so in time as my herd grows, enclosing this structure and re-purposing it--or sharing it--works for me. Everyone who comes to the farm always comments about the view, and I must admit it is truly beautiful. From the new barn, the view is panoramic, scanning the Blue Mountains with a view to the next valley. When my first two llamas arrived a year ago the day before Thanksgiving, I kept repeating what a good view the llamas would have. Finally, Albert, our foreman, said in his droll voice, "It's not too bad for the humans, either." And he would be right.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment